New Garage Door Installation
Customer Issue: Mr. Wood had decided that to best help improve the look of his home to sell it, it would be beneficial to install new garage doors.
Our Solution: Mr. Wood had determined that a set of Raynor TradeMark garage doors would be most suited for his home, both for the classic aesthetic, and the excellent woodgrain texture. Our experts inserted the rollers into the tracks and closed them up, then set up the springs and adjusted the tension and balance accordingly. We also connected the openers for him.
Garage Door Off Track
Customer Issue: A loose track came partially out of the customer’s garage wall, and the door fell out of its frame.
Our Solution: The team had to hold the track in place while removing the garage door. Once the door was out, they screwed the tracks back in properly, made sure there was no damage, and oiled them before sliding the door back in.
Customer Issue: The customer’s garage door refused to close all the way.
Our Solution: Suspecting a sensor issue from the start, we unlocked the sensors for inspection and position adjustment. After replacing their wires and correcting their position (both eyes had been knocked out of alignment) we reconnected the sensors and tested the door to ensure it no longer had any problems.
Craftsman Opener Installation
Customer Issue: Opener needed replacing.
Our Solution: We worked with the customer to determine what kind of an opener they were interested in and decided on a Craftsman ½ HP Chain model to last them for a long time. We then installed it and gave a short introduction regarding several new features before testing the system.
Customer Issue: Malfunctioning opener.
Our Solution: The customer's opener was experiencing some difficulties, so we carefully disconnected it so we could take a look. It needed its safety sensor replaced, which we took care of. We then tested the door to be sure it was back in working order.
Customer Issue: Broken extension spring.
Our Solution: After ensuring that the opener was disconnected, we removed both the spring that had broken as well as its counterpart that was also worn. We replaced them with brand new springs and tested it to be sure it was working.